Doing Business in Takoma Park, MD:
- Businesses are required to recycle.
- Takoma Park bans polystyrene packaging.
- Takoma Park bans plastic bags at the point of sale.
- Most exterior renovations (e.g.: a new sign) require review and approval, especially if you are in the Historic District.
- Displaying your shop’s wares on public sidewalks requires a Sidewalk Sales Permit.
- Mobile vendors (e.g.: food trucks) need a license to operate.
State of Maryland:
To make it easier to start a new business in Maryland, the Comptroller’s Office offers convenient online services to help you set up tax accounts, obtain the right business licenses, and learn about available tax credits. Start a New Business in Maryland
Department of Economic Development Start Up Guide: www.choosemontgomerymd.com/resources
Business Development Representative: www.choosemaryland.org/businessresources
County and State Loans and Grants: www.choosemontgomerymd.com/programs-incentives
Register Your Business: easy.maryland.gov
Tax Info: Maryland Comptroller of the Treasury
Historic District Requirements:
Montgomery County, MD Historic District Map: here
Montgomery County Design Guidelines for Historic Sites and Districts in Montgomery County, MD: here
Design Guidelines for Commericial Buildings in the City of Takoma Park: here